[Libwebsockets] If is it possible to change the licence from LGPL to BSD or MIT?

"Andy Green (林安廸)" andy at warmcat.com
Wed Feb 6 08:30:14 CET 2013

On 06/02/13 01:30, the mail apparently from Peter Young(杨世玲) included:
> Hello Andy,
>
>         I'm working on integrate libwebsockets to cocos2d-x.
>
>         Cocos2d-x is a cross-platform game engine, can write game for ios, android, blackberry, etc.   The are many popular games based on cocos2d-x. official site: http://cocos2d-x.org
>
>         cocos2d-x is under MIT license. so, there will be a license issue if a game using libwebsockets and the  developer wants to keep there codes close source.
>
>         If is it possible to change the licence from LGPL to BSD or MIT?

I think LGPL is pretty liberal, and the git history shows a good level
of contribution coming back.

Originally and without much thought, libwebsockets was actually GPL2,
simply because I do Linux kernel work and that was my default.

However it was pointed out that's not really a fair choice for
libraries, and it's true I don't want to force people to license the
rest of their stuff liberally if they don't want to.  So I changed it a
long while back to LGPL.

Can you explain what the license problem is with cocos2d-x?  Presumably
if it's dynamically linked, there should be no problem including LGPL
sources in a project that is otherwise MIT.  If it's statically linked,
that can be a problem.

If you consider a distro like Fedora or whatever, it's made up of all
kinds of licensed sources you can freely download the same although
redistribution rules differ part by part.  In itself, so long as it's
clearly stated, it doesn't make trouble AFAIK.