[Libwebsockets] If is it possible to change the licence from LGPL to BSD or MIT?

Gregory Junker ggjunker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:34:09 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Is that a problem with lgpl though or a problem with closed commercial
> game distribution?

Whether it's a problem or not depends on several factors. I wouldn't call
it a problem, so much as an incompatibility.

> MIT is certainly liberal but the result that people use the library
> without cooperation or giving back is non-liberal. From my pov lgpl is
> rational because in exchange for giving people the work, contribution back
> is encouraged that I also can benefit from. Merely hearing that xyz is
> using this work, charging for it, has added features they are not sharing,
> is not a satisfying result from my pov considering it is largely my work. I
> think that should be a reasonable pov.

The typical use case rarely changes LGPL code -- in the vast majority of
cases the code is used as-is, or if changes are made, they are patched back
into the project.

> If people can find a way to do shared object linking there's no problem,
> that sounds pretty fair to me.

On closed platforms such as consoles and handhelds, it's a problem because
LGPL won't allow it -- there is no way for the user to drop in a
later/improved/new version of the shared object. This is the
incompatibility I mentioned.

> I am certainly not interested in trying to force liberaliztion of their
> stuff unrelated to lws.

In these cases, it's out of your hands -- LGPL is what forces it.

Greg