[Libwebsockets] If is it possible to change the licence from LGPL to BSD or MIT?

"Andy Green (林安廸)" andy at warmcat.com
Thu Feb 7 02:40:23 CET 2013

On 07/02/13 02:19, the mail apparently from FNA included:
> A little while back, i saw a project that stated it was dual licensed
> under LGPL and BSD/MIT. Not quite sure how that works, but it might be
> something to consider.

I actively don't want to see libwebsockets with additional ports,
features or fixes shipping to customers where no source for the changes
is provided.  So BSD or MIT is not the right answer for this project.

However I don't really see much loss enabling static builds with the
rules otherwise LGPL 2.1.

Looking around this is referenced as a template

http://www.fltk.org/COPYING.php

Copying rider sections 3 & 4 (+/- talk of "widgets") of that and then
LGPL 2.1 in LICENSE look like they would solve the iOS thing reasonably.

Section 3 is saying we don't consider that static linking gives us any
right about the code outside the library.  However any changes to the
library must be provided under LGPL rules.

Section 4 of the rider there is saying you must mention that
libwebsockets was used somewhere to advise the user he can have the
sources / rights under the license, but you don't have to do that in the
code.

So it's still LGPL2.1 the same but an additional right to static link
and clarification we don't want to liberate your other code unrelated to
libwebsockets.

I invited everyone who contributed to lws in the last year to the
mailing list earlier in January so I guess everyone who cares is here...
any objections to this plan?

-Andy