[Libwebsockets] libwebsocket vs regular-sockets performance

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Nov 13 22:18:16 CET 2013

Hemant Kumar <hkumar at arubanetworks.com> wrote:
>Thanks!! Edwin.

Yes thanks for explaining Edwin.

>I read the RFC part regarding masking data from client to server and
>that a random key is generated out of possible 32 bit values to mask
>the data. The same is not applicable from server to client data.
>I don't have any active connection extension, so going through the code
>of libwebsocket_write(), I still do not expect overhead of 4 ms just
>because we are masking and framing the data everytime we send. Can you
>please further clarify on the mechanism for client packet send when

You have the lws sources, so if you want to understand you can read them.

Only you have your test sources though so if you want us to understand or reproduce or debug your situation you should provide them.

If you're seeing latencies or bad performance you can also instrument the code directly and measure where it's coming from.

You don't say what is receiving the data, a browser or another lws client?  If it's a browser, it has the overhead of collecting the data into a large javascript object as part of receiving it.

I didn't see what platform you are on, you can also use perf on Linux or even top to understand where the time is going.  Windows no idea, but someone was saying recently there are problems with spinning in wsa sockets there.

-Andy