[Libwebsockets] how is partial write handled

LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com
Thu Oct 17 19:38:20 CEST 2013

Hi Andy,

> Normally that would be correct.
>
> But for lws I don't believe that's the case.  We use SO_SNDBUF to reserve an
> amount of buffer space on the socket set by the protocol struct definition.
> Although it's not well documented what the effect of SO_SNDBUF is I
> understand this to mean we won't get signalled by poll() the socket is
> writeable until that amount of packet data is writeable in one hit.  I have
> been unable to reproduce partial sends since adding this.

This is true for UDP where the send buffer is not really used anyway. However the socket option you need to use to have the effect that you describe is SO_SNDLOWAT.

but even if you have sufficient space in the send buffer, I'm not even sure that you can totally rule out the possibility of a partial write.

Can I use your library if I cannot predict ahead of time the length of my messages because their length is variable?

> For websocket messages that are larger than the maximum buffer
> reservation the kernel would accept, you must use websocket fragments.
> But at some point with multi-MB messages you have to use websocket
> fragments anyway.

I respectfully disagree with you. While using websocket fragments might be preferable to make multiplexing extension more effective, as far as I can see, there is nothing in the protocol stopping you to make bigger message than SO_SNDBUF bytes. Quite the opposite, WebSocket message header payload len field support len size up to 64 bits.

> > I'm currently using 1.22. Is the situation better in the git head
> > version?
> >
> > If not, is this enhancement in the short-term roadmap?
>
> If you can demonstrate the truncated send issue exists under the conditions
> above I will add support for dealing with it.

I do not have the time to do the experiment myself but I can give some ideas and links to help better appreciate the issue.

1. In Stevens UNIX Network Programming Volume 1, you can check what Stevens has to say. I do not have my copy around but I can probably quote a paragraph from the non-blocking i/o chapter tomorrow saying that no matter what, you must prepare to handle partial writes.

2. Read Linux source code that handles non-blocking i/o. I would think part of it could be found under fs subfolder.

3. To easily reproduce and assuming (payload len < SO_SNDBUF value && SO_SNDBUF value % payload len != 0), just use a network simulator gateway that drops TCP ACK segments randomly and have a server sending at a decent pace payloads of size equal to SO_SNDBUF value/2 -1.

Also note that even if your send buffer is perfectly x times the size of your payload len, you are dependent on how your stack will segment the stream based on its MTU and also dependent on what is the acknowledgement strategy of the peer stack and packet drops of the network and possibly many others variables that are out of control of a single process.

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.