[Libwebsockets] how is partial write handled

LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com
Fri Oct 18 00:59:11 CEST 2013

Andy,

I think that I understand a little bit better what happens.

Remember when I said the way you describe SO_SNDBUF sounded more like SO_SNDLOWAT?

I did remember that the library also disable Nagle with TCP_NODELAY. In a LAN, what this combination will do is make a TCP connection approximate a UDP socket in a LAN because RTT is very low. On the Internet with RTT > 200 ms and with an intensive bandwidth app (ie: video streaming on websockets: http://phoboslab.org/log/2013/09/html5-live-video-streaming-via-websockets ), we will get partial writes even with appropriate SO_SNDBUF and TCP_NODELAY on.

> >Can I use your library if I cannot predict ahead of time the length of
> >my messages because their length is variable?
>
> Yes... websockets itself defines fragments for that purpose.

I have read the readme file describing fragments. My understanding was that this was supported for the receiving side.
Does the library support fragments on the sending side as well?

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.