[Libwebsockets] libwebsocket client operation with Nginx server

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Oct 18 23:56:45 CEST 2013

Hemant Kumar <hkumar at arubanetworks.com> wrote:
>Hi All
>
>This is slightly out of regular libwebsocket issues.
>Although I got regular libwebsocket client test-client.c working with
>test-server.c , but when I
>Try to run the same client with nginx server running on port 80, it
>results in LWS_CALLBACK_CONNECTION_ERROR.

Yes if you're trying to use the client app with a different server, you'll need to implement the two test protocols used by the client in nginx.

>I was thinking since nginx has also support for libwebsocket, so it
>will at least establish connection.

It should make the tcp connection but then use it to upgrade to a websocket link with the test protocols.  That will fail because the server has no idea abour our test protocols.

>I don't have much idea regarding internals of nginx and will appreciate
>if anyone can shed light on this.

Check with tcpdump / wireshark what's actually happening.

-Andy