[Libwebsockets] libwebsockets on bare metal embedded device

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Apr 2 02:13:01 CEST 2014

On 04/02/2014 07:58 AM, Mike He wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologize for the unsolicited email and thank you in advance for any
> help.
>
> I am trying to use websockets on a 32 bit microcontroller, with no OS
> and more-or-less bare metal programming. From browsing libwebsockets, it
> seems that it is set up for use in a linux (or windows) environment. Is
> there an implementation that is useable on bare metal?

lws is near the lowest common denominator to work on any OS, which is
why it has users on so many platforms.

Nobody has used it on really bare metal as far as I know.

But since you can deconfigure at build time most things, actually if you
can look after faking a few things it should be possible.

The logging stuff is easy to divert to your serial console or whatever.

1) Networking stack

2) Malloc - not used much but is needed

3) might need to change the poll() method

4) Build mode to link to a single .o for link into your global "app"

5) ...

-Andy