[Libwebsockets] Error 98 on binding port (Nios II)

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Apr 2 00:39:32 CEST 2014

On 04/02/2014 04:24 AM, Simone Maccanti wrote:
> Hello guys.
> First of all thanks for this great library!
> I'm trying to port libwebsockets to uCLinux (Board with Nios II) for use

Cool, this kind of platform is what I originally had in mind for very
resource-constrained and unthreaded case for lws.

> Websockets and speed up some data published by the Board web page... so
> I'm doing some experiments. I've built the lib and everything seems
> fine, then i've build a simple server using Test-server.c for try to
> communicate to a simple web page.
> The default port is the 55554 instead of 7681, but every time i start
> the server (Test-server.c) libwebsocket_create_context fails with error
> 98 (bind: Address already in use). Starting the server with another port
> (using the option --port) for example 55555, works.
> The 55554 is not used of course and i can change it with another port:
> same results, it fails.
> Seems an issue about how the socket is open and only the first time.
> Any idea?

If you look with netstat -pln after running and killing the server the
first time, you may see the listen port in TIME_WAIT state still.

lws changes the listen socket attribute to allow treading on that with a
subsequent session listening on the same socket, but it seems that is
broken on uclinux somehow.

-Andy