[Libwebsockets] Internet versus LAN connections

Willem Burgers wa.burgers+lws at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:15:13 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have a libwebsockets server running.
Whenever I try to connect over LAN, it works perfectly fine, but when I try
to connect over the Internet, the connection times out with error code 1006.
I have forwarded the websocket port on my router to the correct port for
the server.
In the JavaScript of the page I use the external IP obviously.
I tried a NodeJS echo server, which works fine over the Internet.
Also the libwebsockets-test-server works perfectly fine.

My HTTP callback just returns 0, because the html file is hosted on another
machine.

static int httpCallback(struct libwebsocket_context *context,
struct libwebsocket *wsi,
enum libwebsocket_callback_reasons reason,
 void *user, void *in, size_t len) {
    return 0;
}

Should this be changed for libwebsockets to work over the Internet?
Does it need to accept the Upgrade http request itself?
If so, why does it work over LAN connections?

Thanks,
Willem