[Libwebsockets] How to "disconnect"?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Aug 14 14:23:04 CEST 2014

On 14 August 2014 20:00:37 GMT+08:00, "Carlos Sánchez" <carlos at guadalfeo.com> wrote:
>> What version of lws are you using?  Because there was a fix about
>this recently -->
>>

>http://git.libwebsockets.org/cgi-bin/cgit/libwebsockets/commit/?id=d07ea3bf409cb8b22ba23cc0dd149d76146ed127
>
>Ok, I don't have this version. I've updated my sources.
>>> with
>>> libwebsocket changes.| I've also changed this /proc values manually
>but
>>>
>>> still does not detect the connection lost.
>does
>>> something similar, he repeatedly closes the connection after a
>random
>>> time (by returning nonzero from a callback) and when he sees he's
>dead
>>> in the main service loop, just calls client connect again to get a
>new
>>> connection.  The context is unaffected.
>>> The situation I've described, the connection is not destroyed (no
>>> LWS_CALLBACK_WSI_DESTROY) so libwebsockets does not known that the
>>> connection is lost and I can't call libwebsocket_client_connect()
>again
>>>
>>> before destroying the previous connection (memory leaks). So the
>only
>>> solution I've found is destroying the context because I can't inform
>>>
>>> libwebsockets that I've detected no pong and needs to free all
>>> resources
>>> allocated by the connection.
>> If tcp keepalive is workable you should get the connection closed
>automatically.
>Ok, now works with keepalive working.

Super.

>> If you are sending the ping from your user callback, you can also use
>the lws timeout setting api from there and clear the timeout when you
>see a pong.  Don't see a pong --> timeout --> close.
>
>Now there is no need for this, but for curiosity as you mention I must
>do this?:
>
>     libwebsocket_set_timeout(wsi, PENDING_TIMEOUT_AWAITING_PING, 0);
>     libwebsocket_service_fd(, NULL);
>
>I'm calling from a libev timer callback so as I understand I must
>"service".

I mean at the time your server decides to send a ping "probe", which like anything you do must be done from the user callback code, you should set the timeout on the connection to 5s or whatever.  So like you have above except not 0 by 5 or whatever.

There is no explicit service needed, when you return from the callback after doing that he'll end up back in your main service loop and go around again / track timeouts without doing anything more.

Then you will either get a PONG callback from the client before then, at which time you should disable the pending timeout with libwebsockets_set_timeout(wsi, NO_PENDING_TIMEOUT, 0); or if it never came, lws will close the connection for you.

lws client code automatically sends back a PONG if it gets a PING.

-Andy