[Libwebsockets] Truncated send handled by user not working as expected

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Aug 18 14:23:18 CEST 2014

On 18 August 2014 20:07:40 GMT+08:00, nil100 at ig.com.br wrote:

> [...]
>
>> There seems to be two separate issues here, one is you don't want it
> to buffer things if nothing got sent, and the other is you get an
>assert firing when it does.
>
>> Correct. I don't want it to buffer things and the assert is firing
> because the library started handling things without me wanting it to.
>
>> If you remove the n && from line 172 it might do something towards
> what you want. But I am not sure if that leaves whatever blew the
>assert just waiting to blow the assert another time.
>
>> What blew the assert was wsi->truncated_send_len not being 0 when it
> should have been. Sorry for the bad formatting. My webmail is crap.
>
>Yeah it's pretty broken but it's fine as a text mode reply actually so
>no worries.
>
>I think it's maybe a bit more complicated than you are thinking.
>
>1) What's actually sent on the wire may include protocol prepending for
>websocket. That's tricky to account for but not impossible. So the
>stuff
>at the send() is a different length than what you sent in your user
>callback.
>
>2) If there's an extension like compression, which is commonly
>negotiated by browsers, what gets sent on the wire - to the send() - is
>totally unrelated in size or content to what you are sending from your
>user code.
>
>If you heard he managed to send 1KByte of the compressed version,
>that's
>completely worthless information to you because you don't know how big
>the remainder of the compressed version is or what it was, from the
>user
>code with the uncompressed buffer.
>
>These reasons are why we ended up with in-lws transparent buffering,
>because especially the second one has no real solution otherwise.
>
>-Andy
>
>> Cheers, Nilson N. da Silva
>
>Yes... I understand that there's more to sending over websockets than
>just wiring to a socket and for that libwebsockets is very good (ofc
>it's more than just websockets and thanks for creating it BTW).
>
>So what I originally intended to do was something like the following:
>
>int m = 0;
> size_t len = mybuffer_length;
> unsigned char *msg = mybuffer + LWS_SEND_BUFFER_PRE_PADDING;
> do {
> int l = len - m;
> unsigned char *p = msg + m;
> m += libwebsocket_write(wsi, p, l, LWS_WRITE_TEXT);
> /*
> do something so that I know send was truncated and tell me
> how many iterations it took to complete the whole chunk
> and how much was sent on each
> */
>} while(m < len);
>
>Now with the help Roger's comment if I have "if
>(lws_send_pipe_choked(wsi)) continue;" inside this loop I get rid of
>the
>assertion failure, but it seems libwebsockets is still handling

No it's still an approach that is incompatible with the lws buffering.

As soon as libwebsocket_write() figured it needed to buffer something, you are not allowed to send anything new on libwebsocket_write() until the buffered stuff is used up.

Instead you must return to the service loop, where lws will service its buffer until it is empty, before giving you any new WRITEABLE callbacks.

And it's ONLY in your WRITEABLE callback you should do the libwebsocket_write() activities.

It's generally enough in there if you see pipe_choked() is true, stop sending right now, ask for a callback when you're writeable again and leave the callback.

lws will do what needs to be done (using the service loop) and when it's OK for you to send more, you will come back into the WRITEABLE callback to send more.

If you adopt this approach to work with and through the service loop, these problems will evaporate and the code will be super efficient and low latency even with multiple connections blasting away.

There's some golden chunk size for your device, it's kernel, the memory pressure state below which you won't normally buffer, say eg, 2KBytes.  So it's a lot cheaper to spam the connection until it would choke with these small buffer writes that never show partial write problems, than send 10MByte in one write which will definitely be a partial write and need memcpys etc to do the buffering.

So please try adapt to this technique I think it will help a lot.

-Andy