[Libwebsockets] How to communicate in real time and send heavy data on the same websocket channel

Thomas Spitz thomas.spitz at hestia-france.com
Thu Sep 25 08:04:45 CEST 2014

Hello everyone,

I'm using libwebsocket for real time data communication between a client
and a server, this works very nicely. I will also need to send heavy data
to this same client using websocket (without disturbing real time data
transfer) and I would like to know what is the best solution (ideally using
the same IP port)? Should I use a now protocol inside libwebsocket or is
there a multiplexing mechanism somewhere?

I have read that there were an attempt for multiplexing some time ago :
http://ml.libwebsockets.org/pipermail/libwebsockets/2013-September/000540.html)
and I also saw that some other librairies try to implement such a
mechanism:
https://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/02/23/how-to-compose-apps-using-websockets/
I would be really pleased to hear your suggestions.

Best regards,
Thomas