[Libwebsockets] Plan for 1.6

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Sun Dec 6 23:10:35 CET 2015

Hi Andy,

>From what I can see you've covered the bases pretty well. The testing
I've done so far is all going fine.

Keeping the same soversion doesn't feel right, but I'm not sure what
the best thing to do is.

If LWS_WITH_OLD_API_WRAPPERS=off, then the ABI no longer matches and
so soversion should be bumped.

If LWS_WITH_OLD_API_WRAPPERS=on, then the ABI still matches and there
is no need for the soversion to be bumped.

That kind of implies that the soversion should be set based on whether
LWS_WITH_OLD_API_WRAPPERS is set or not, which doesn't feel exactly
right.

Could I suggest setting LWS_WITH_OLD_API_WRAPPERS=on by default, but
adding a #warning to the wrapper block to say that the old API is
deprecated and will be removed in 1.7 (or whatever).

If you keep LWS_WITH_OLD_API_WRAPPERS=off by default, I think the
soversion should be bumped.

Cheers,

Roger