[Libwebsockets] RFC: A set of patches for 1.5 + post API change fixes

Derald Woods woods.technical at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 02:17:33 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

> On 12/17/2015 01:39 AM, Derald Woods wrote:
>
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> There have been many interesting API changes recently. Those changes are
>> all good as far as I can tell and should make future improvements less
>> painful. My immediate needs require using 1.5 as a baseline. I pulled a
>> select few fixes, after the first set of API rationalizations, and now
>> keep a branch to catch future fixes, until 1.6 stabilizes. My branch
>> point is as follows:
>>

>> https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/commit/112f9806ace0d8f678d670f3e2c38ed87908d850
>>
>> The attached patches are directly from master with only a few API
>> changes dropped. This should be a sane approach for staying at 1.5+fixes
>> correct?
>>

> Yes it's sane as far as it goes, but now we've made the pre-1.6 changes
> future fixes / patches will be using those apis and patching the changed
> code.
>
> So going on picking fixes in a simple way will be difficult I think,
> unless you are adapting the changes to apply to 112f98 era.

This is only temporary and 112f98 is a branch point. For the past year, we
have been able to stay on the master or very close. This was a big internal
selling point. Code has been written to use stock functionality and not
fiddle with library internals. Now the code must change. As there are other
pressing things that we need to accomplish, I will table conversion to 1.6
for a few weeks. I simply chose some fixes that seemed important.

> I am hoping to finish up this week (I said the same thing last week...) on
> the api rationalizations and issue 1.6 shortly, so hopefully the need for
> this will go away.  The main thing I can see at the moment is left is check
> the callback parameters and see if we can lose context there now.

Great. I will begin some integration and test in early January 2016. We
have been quite pleased with 'libwebsockets' overall. It has reduced
development time significantly. The work of you and others is appreciated.
I hope to be able to contribute a bit as I become more familiar with the
project.

- Derald