[Libwebsockets] Recent buggy changes

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Tue May 5 22:19:07 CEST 2015

Hi there,

I believe that a recent changeset introduced some undesirable changes
to libwebsockets. I'm not sure what the best solution is, hence this
email.

The change is:

https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/commit/04da2ccd1e8c5b582c4e2a77ee53f929ae8f22a0

"Always include lws_config.h since now we have only CMake build"

This means that libwebsockets.h always #includes lws_config.h, whereas
before it was only included if CMAKE_BUILD was defined - this means
only when the library itself was being built in practice. From what I
can see, lws_config.h includes a mix of information that is useful to
people using lws - such as whether it was compiled with cyassl support
- and lots of things that aren't really of any interest.

One of these things is the "#define VERSION" macro. This means that
lws is claiming ownership of the VERSION macro, which seems a bit
impolite for a library to do :) The shame of it is that the changeset
acknowledges that the change is going to cause problems.

I think that these is a lot of leftover cruft from autoconf days, but
I don't know everything that can be cut. I think that if it is
possible to have lws_config.h for public information about the lws
build, and lws_config_private.h for things that lws needs for its own
build that would be a reasonable solution.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Roger