[Libwebsockets] libwebsockets project direction and organisation (was: Lws admin)

Michael Haberler haberlerm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 12:53:19 CEST 2015

Hi Andy,

good to hear everything's fine - somebody going under in work for a extended period of time is normal and nothing to excuse for

however, if this project is to be a relied-upon component for others in the future I think some organisational changes are warranted to aid development downstream, as well as reassuring the user base and aiding adoption - I am very wary of single points of failure in projects which we use in machinekit.io.

The key requirements to assure a robust future for this project IMO are:

- decouple the project trajectory from a single person's ability to contribute and maintain infrastructure.
- adopt and spell out a proven policy and process to support that, while giving clear rules to contributors and admins
- overhaul some parts of the project's infrastructure: mailing list, tracker, documentation + doc website

None of this is magic and I think the best route forward is copying a successful project's approach to the issue. Towards that end I suggest to clone the approach of the zeroMQ project. This has been very effective for zeroMQ as well as our project.

My recommendations from a organisational perspective are:

- adopt the 'Collective Code Construction Contract' (aka C.4.1) as laid out here: http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:22
- set up a libwebsockets github organisation
- appoint at least one other maintainer as organisation owner
- have maintainers sign up project administrators as described in C4.1

To overhaul infrastructure:

- use github facilities to the fullest extent: organisation, issue tracker, github pages for website and documentation, gitter.im - the integration is hard to beat by self-hosting.
- Move issues to the github tracker, if possible importing the trac history. Then dump trac.
- switch the mailing list to a google group. I do not see the point of self-hosting anymore.
- move the website to github pages, and subject it to the C4.1 change process as any other parts of the project. Again, self-hosting is counterproductive as it deters contributions.

To start the process, use the github tracker: break it down into problem issues, and enable _other_ people to contribute to it by using the C4.1 process. There is NO point in amassing a huge 'todo list' which gets stuck in a manpower bottleneck because other people cannot effectively contribute.

For the general direction forward, I think again adopting the zeroMQ approach helps: the trajectory is a sequence of problem solutions. So each contribution MUST identify a problem (ideally by a test case if a bug), then post a solution as a PR. The merge closes the issue. Admins then are responsible for merging according to the C4.1 process; a release note can eventually automatically extracted from the closed issue descriptions. Having a significant number of admins helps getting merges done quickly, and lessens the load on everybody involved, which obviously is an issue.

I want to emphasize that adopting the C4.1 for machinekit has been very successful and needed only a short time span to get used to. Overall it has made machinekit a much more robust project than the precursor.

I would very much appreciate if we can set things in motion towards a robust future of the libwebsockets project.

best regards

Michael Haberler

ps: my own priorities are:
- getting the debian testing/unstable package updated
- eventually get in Python bindings - maybe work by Andrew Canaday can be brushed up and eventually integrated