[Libwebsockets] libwebsockets project direction and organisation (was: Lws admin)

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Oct 12 00:07:15 CEST 2015

On 11 October 2015 23:35:50 GMT+09:00, Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 4:15 AM, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

>> this project is basically in maintenence mode now, or at least it
>should
>> be;
>

>Andy, I fully support that you as the coder, or whoever that is, should
>have control of the project when you're doing the work upon and I would
>hate to see this unnecessary organization foisted upon you.
>
>But unfortunately, your assessment of the completion or quality of the
>project is off base. It's not in finished state, the API has at least
>one
>real trap for the programmer that needs to be fixed,  the overall
>feeling
>is that it's "shaky" in quality, and my experience so far is that a
>serious
>user of the library will need to spend _days_ debugging it.

Well, this is a matter of nomenclature.

For me big unfinished things in the past were on the order of adding ssl support, or client support as a whole, or http2 support.  And I would work for some weeks solid on each big thing.  There are no more such projects to do here.  So I say it's basically 'done', in fact over-done since nobody cares about http2 to date.

What's left are minor fixes, refactor and add small features if anyone cares enough, and since nothing really new, "maintenence mode" seems to sum it up.

>I did a speech on Saturday at the TAPR Digital Communications
>Conference in
>which I recommended libwebsockets for an entire class of applications
>in
>the two-way radio industry, but cautioned developers that it was not in
>finished state and that they would have to invest significant time into
>debugging it.

I dunno what bugs we are talking about... a few weeks ago I used it on a new zynq fpga-based hdmi protocol analyzer project myself, and got the whole stack working based off the test app in a few hours.  There were no bugs at all bit me from lws side, it's rock solid and I was very happy with it.

Yes there are always bug fixes coming, so no doubt there are bugs.  But I don't know anything as broken as you seem to have experienced.

>So, if you really believe the project is in maintenance mode, we need
>you
>to admit other folks to check in changes and do test releases. Or
>accept
>that they'll fork the project to do so.

I chose the license deliberately to grant that right, people can do what they think is best at any time.

However I'm pretty sure what's best for everyone right now is let me spend some of my holiday time cleaning the decks, and see if the general medium term future for me becomes a bit clearer during the week, as it may.  If nothing else anyone eager for asspain can fork it from a better starting point.

-Andy