[Libwebsockets] Repetitive LWS_CALLBACK_SERVER_WRITABLE making cpu load 99%

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sun Jul 3 21:18:24 CEST 2016

On July 4, 2016 2:00:09 AM GMT+08:00, Shmuel Weiss <sweiss at kramerel.com> wrote:
>Thread still at 99%.

If the socket was writeable, and you ask to be called back again when it's writeable without doing anything, it's still writeable.  So you spin.

You don't even explain what you changed in the code you don't share, aren't you expecting a bit much?

>My HTTP callback is called 4 times with LWS_CALLBACK_LOCK_POLL and then
>my WEBSOCKET callback once (every 200msec, corresponding to my TIMEOUT
>in  lsw_service).
>
>But why the HTTP callback is called so many times? What means this
>LOCK_POLL event ?

It's unrelated to your problem.  The callbacks return 0 immediately and do nothing.

But what does it mean both 'thread is 99% busy' and effectively that "poll() reaches his timeout"?  Poll sitting there and then returning due to timeout means the thread is *idle* for those 200ms.  If he just does housekeeping then returns to poll() idle, how can it be 'busy'? You don't mean the thread is 1% busy do you?

Use a debugger or up the logging to debug your code and find out what it does that makes it 'busy', if that is actually what happens.

-Andy