[Libwebsockets] Is Libwebsokets portable for Esp8266

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jul 6 04:24:41 CEST 2016

On Wed, 2016-07-06 at 09:27 +0800, 王炜 wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to utilize Libwebsokets for Esp8266. Is it portable for
> Esp8266? Is anyone do that before, and how to get start? Thanks.

Ha... I had this idea last Dec, and bought some cheapo ESP8266 modules
(Electrodragon SMD-wi07-7).

However when I sat down to look at how to get started, I was bemused by
the number of incompatible "SDKs" on offer with different APIs and
warnings about how crashy the firmware was.  So these remain on my
shelf.

>From the work supporting mbed3 though, it is possible to use lws on
"event-serialized LWIP", although mbed3 too was a huge crashy mess in
itself.  If ESP8266 is broadly the same, it should also be possible.

If you have an otherwise stable environment for ESP8266 with some spare
space (I guess maybe 96KB needed to do something useful like the test
server), please share how to reproduce.