[Libwebsockets] websocket in IoT

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Nov 23 13:13:12 CET 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 19:47 +0800, lhl_nciae wrote:
> Hi,Andy
>       I have an question for websocket in IoT,
> as all konw,websocket appled to WEB scenario, but, why  ported
> libwebsocket to ESP8266? What are the advantages of applying
> websocket to the IoT scenario as compared to other protocols?

"IoT" is quite meaningless at the moment, a huge bonfire of money.  If
you don't see a use for it, no problem, don't use it.

I bothered to write it because ESP8266 can run a modern, intuitive
HTML5 realtime web server for config and device control.

It can do it without any setup by running his own AP, after which you
can teach it your AP name and password and it can persistently be
accessed as a node on your WLAN; he's 32-bit and 160MHz, so if you
don't need a lot of RAM he can be the main smarts in the device too.
In my case I partner him with an FPGA and some Hyperram.

Then he can do stuff like 30fps realtime canvas with live data from the
device, transparency, all the advanced HTML 5 features on a modern PC
or similar.

And notice there was *zero* software install or "apps" on the client PC
/ tablet / phone.

At a cost of US$2.50 or less... I have a use for that...

-Andy