[Libwebsockets] A couple of patches and a question

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Oct 3 15:14:17 CEST 2016

On Sun, 2016-10-02 at 02:19 +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for keeping libwebsockets going!
>
> What do you think about the attached couple of patches?  The first
> one

The patches didn't make it somehow.

> fixes a couple of typographical and grammatical errors, and the
> second
> one tries to catch up with OpenSSL 1.1's changes in functionality.
> Yes, the same part of the code had some ifdefs related to OpenSSL 1.1
> added before, but very soon after that, in the next prerelease,
> things changed again and the various cleanup functions were turned
> into no-ops and marked as deprecated, since everything seems to be
> done
> automatically now.  Hopefully now that 1.1 has been published and
> has seen a couple of bugfix patchlevel releases, the interface should
> remain stable.
>
> I also have a question that was raised by running cppcheck over
> the libwebsockets source: what is the lws_ssl_capable_write()
> function
> supposed to do in the LWS_USE_MBEDTLS case?  The ifdefs around

MBEDTLS support is "not there yet", the scaffolding is there but not
the actual working support code.

> the actual SSL library functions do not seem to do anything in
> that case, which leaves the value of the "n" variable undefined,
> not to mention no real work has been done, nothing has been written
> anywhere.  So, I guess, either assign something to n to explicitly
> signal your intention or, I don't know, make the function actually
> do something? :)

A user wanted it and started working on it, but there was no usable
result after some weeks... on master the MBEDTLS option is disabled in
CMake atm.

However now lws works on ESP8266, MBEDTLS is interesting for me
personally.  So I plan to come back and try to revitalize it when that
gets to be the biggest missing piece for me (don't let me discourage
any Deus ex Machina solution waiting in the wings from solving it in
the meanwhile though...)

> Thanks again for your work on libwebsockets!

You're welcome.

-Andy