[Libwebsockets] Max connections

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Oct 13 23:59:23 CEST 2016

On October 14, 2016 5:22:02 AM GMT+08:00, Srikar Vadlamani <SrikarVadlamani at trafficware.com> wrote:
>Andy,
>
>I am using lws for its http functionality. Only have 1 protocol
>defined.
>I want to only allow n connections due to limited memory.
>
>I do not want to close the connection, but keep it in pending/wait
>state, as a browser when loading a webpage with css and other js will
>request multiple connections at once,
>If I close the connection webpage will fail to load properly.

It sounds like something else is the problem.

>I am currently using lws_http_mount to serve static pages.
>
>I respond to any POST requests in the http_callback.
>
>After every LWS_CALLBACK_HTTP_FILE_COMPLETION event, I can return (-1)
>to close the connection. The logs show that connection is closed, but

That's not what you usually want to do.  Browsers use http/1.1 keepalive / header pipelining, instead of simply killing the connection when you finished one http transaction, you should take this kind of approach

https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/blob/master/plugins/protocol_post_demo.c#L215

try_to_reuse:
	if (lws_http_transaction_completed(wsi))
		return -1;

return 0;

If the browser didn't want to keep the connection alive, you close it.  Otherwise you informed lws the http *transaction* completed, the http header parsing state of the connection is reset and it waits for new headers / a new http transaction on the existing connection.

>netstat shows me it is in TIMED_WAIT state.
>What is the best way to know number of open/pending http connections?
>Instead of closing the connection is there a way to put that connection
>is wait state, if it exceeds a certain number.
>Can I expect LWS_CALLBACK_CLOSED_HTTP every time a socket is closed?

I think you might need to look closer at the problem and assumptions it is about "''limited memory" or you need to tightly count connections to solve it; you might need to overall but not the the point that one client can't get all his page elements.  Lws can do that on ESP8266 and he's insanely resource-constrained, 80KB SRAM for everything including an 80211 stack!

Support keepalive as above may change the situation.

-Andy