[Libwebsockets] http2 support

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Feb 7 00:34:56 CET 2017

On February 7, 2017 6:04:54 AM GMT+08:00, Joel Winarske <joel.winarske at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi Andy,
>
>What's the state of http2 support in master?

"Experimental"... a couple of years ago I got it to the point it could serve one h2 stream on a connection over ssl/alpn, via curl or so.  Since this was a huge amount of work - it's nothing like http/1.x, just passing headers requires all kinds of specialized adaptive binary encodings - I wrote up how to reproduce it in the README and here, and nobody was interested.

Also you should know despite my arguing for it, the h2 guys seem to regard websockets as declasse and discussion about it to stink up their pure and beautiful h2 list.  That was the case a couple of years ago when they were coming to the end of defining the standard, they defined no way to carry ws[s] on h2 and ignored arguments for it.  And it's the case a couple of months ago when it came up again, they tried to push discussion on a shut down Hybi list as if scraping shit off their shoe.  So there is no standardized way to carry ws[s] on h2, the official line is do it on http/1, or more accurately, "let them eat http/1".

For those reasons, zero interest until recently, zero help, and no way to tie it to ws, it's stuck at about 85%.

-Andy