[Libwebsockets] serving compressed http response from a zip archive

Denis Osvald denis.osvald at sartura.hr
Mon Feb 13 11:31:37 CET 2017

Hello everybody,

I'm using lws to make a web UI from a system with possibly constrained
disk space. The resources (html, js, css) are stored on disk gzipped
individually and content-encoding: gzip is added for such files when
served by lws.

Since this has (so far) been a special case not supported by lws,
currently I'm handling this case "manually" by bypassing lws
file-serving logic.

I haven't looked at the recent changes in master, but do you think this
use case (where GET /file.js ends up with /file.js.gz +
content-encoding: gzip) would be resolved / made easier by new lws APIs?

If not (or if I have more special-case requirements), what is the best
way to "bypass" lws's VFS / file-serving logic? Currently I'm doing it
as a hack by making a mount of "/dev/null" which makes lws code fall
through to my protocol handler, where I can handle special cases like
this. It works alright this way.

Regards,

Denis Osvald