[Libwebsockets] polling for file descriptor i/o

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Feb 21 01:59:52 CET 2017

On 02/19/2017 05:32 AM, Andy Green wrote:

> On 02/18/2017 01:45 AM, Per Bothner wrote:
>> ldomterm waits for output from the child process by running select in
>> a separate thread:  See the code in:
>>
>> https://github.com/PerBothner/DomTerm/blob/master/lws-term/protocol.c
>>
>> This works, but it seems clumsy and wasteful, since lws has its own
>> event
>> loop using select/poll.
>>
>> Is there any mechanism to add a file descriptor to the lws event
>> loop and have a callback function fire when data arrives?
>> Perhaps this could use a new pseudo-protocol?
>>
>> (Not a big deal, but maybe worth thinking about if changing
>> the VFS data structures.)
>
> There are socket adoption APIs in lws, but they currently only adopt
> stuff expected to be in http or https logical protocol.
>
> There's another guy asking for this on github
>
> https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/issues/778
>
> but he wants something a bit less reasonable related to being able to
> accept arbitrary raw connections on the same listen socket as http -
> and https .  However doing that also requires raw adoption you want
> underneath.  So I will try to provide it.

I pushed an untested patch adding this on master.

The deal with it is there is a new adoption api

struct lws *
lws_adopt_socket_vhost2(struct lws_vhost *vh, lws_sockfd_type accept_fd,
             int allow_ssl, int raw)

this lets you control whether ssl will apply (if the vhost is set up for
it), and if the adoption is for a raw socket.

If allow ssl and the vhost is configured for it, then lws will negotiate
the ssl link on the connection first.

The wsi experiences these callbacks

     LWS_CALLBACK_RAW_RX                    = 59,
     /**< RAW mode connection RX */
     LWS_CALLBACK_RAW_CLOSE                    = 60,
     /**< RAW mode connection is closing */
     LWS_CALLBACK_RAW_WRITEABLE                = 61,
     /**< RAW mode connection may be written */
     LWS_CALLBACK_RAW_ADOPT                    = 62,
     /**< RAW mode connection was adopted (equivalent to 'created') */

once it's adopted lws owns the fate of the socket fd including logical
closing of it.  Otherwise it should hopefully work as you would expect.

The patch also adds CONNECT method aimed at the guy on github, but
that's not wired up yet and I am not sure if it's a good idea atm.