[Libwebsockets] most recent master commit / breaking changes?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Mar 17 04:03:26 CET 2017

On 03/17/2017 10:39 AM, Joel Winarske wrote:
> The fstat change came in with 19cc7acb24a1bb402ef3260efa2b64b9357b746a
> - fops-zip

That fstat change is not special for WIN32 and it works fine on Linux;
fstat() should be the same on Windows.

It looks like the fd is invalid, but that doesn't make sense since if it
can't find the file it will return a NULL fop_fd and we check for that.

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Joel Winarske
> <joel.winarske at gmail.com <mailto:joel.winarske at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Regarding 1, thank you for pointing out the API change.  I
>     resolved this.  I reverted code changes on 2 to check, and fstat
>     is still failing.

OK... it should have blown compiler errors though, since the args would
not match the new declaration in the header.  So that suggests maybe
still problems with your local lws tree diverged from mine.

git pull is good for following trees with a consistent history. It's not
really useful following master.  Appveyor and Travis only tell me I have
problems after I push stuff, so there is a constant trickle of fixes
coming that way.  Rather than mess up the history with "uhhh... fix
NO_SERVER"... "ughhh... fix that fix", I fix whatever I was pushing
directly and repush it.  Sometimes I will refactor what I have been
working on and pushing over several days, or change the order of the
patches in the history (on master, I leave the vx.y-stable branches to
have a consistent history).

The right way for following this kind of tree is, eg,

  $ git fetch https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets +master:m

This teleports the remote master into a local branch "m".  It makes no
effect at all on your local checked-out branch.  You can check what the
differences are with your local checked-out branch

  $ git diff --stat m

If you want to replace your local checked-out lws with "m" - it replaces
everything with exactly "m", losing any changes you may have made to lws

  $ git reset --hard m

If you think you might want your local changes, you can use

  $ git diff m > changes.patch

first to save the differences, or you can leave your old branch intact
and move to a new branch set to m

  $ git branch lws7
  $ git checkout lws7
  $ git reset --hard m