[Libwebsockets] ACME / letsencrypt

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Nov 10 10:31:32 CET 2017

Hi -

This mailing list has been write-only for a while when it comes to
asking for testing.  A few weeks ago I added windows binaries to
Appveyor, added 64-bit builds, and cleaned out all warnings, asked for
testing and... nothing.  It's frustrating because I really hate windows
personally and have no interest in working on it.

On master, I have a large new feature, a plugin supporting ACME / Let's
encrypt for both OpenSSL and mbedTLS, using the tls-sni-01 challenge.
This challenge is technically more difficult, but it has the advantage
it only needs :443 forwarded and with a couple of pieces of information
can be fully automated, unlike other ones.  It also supports automated
renewals.

It needs someone other than me using it and testing it to make it ready
for v2.5.  There are a few people via github that contribute to this
stuff as it happens on master: I appreciate their help and these
complaints are not aimed in their direction.

Like HTTP/2 ACME this really wasn't trivial to do, and takes many weeks
of me sitting here writing and struggling with it, particularly now
there are two completely different TLS backends to support.

If some of the ~180 people who care enough about this to subscribe to
this ml want this work to continue as it has been, you are going to have
to find it in your heart to at least help out for testing.

https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/blob/master/READMEs/README.plugin-acme.md