[Libwebsockets] Newbie Questions

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Nov 21 05:14:18 CET 2017

On 11/21/2017 11:49 AM, Chad Cravens wrote:
> Hello!
>
> First, thanks to warmcat for his hard work and a great open source
> library for us all to use! I'm a newbie to libwebsockets. I've been
> working with the test-apps for a few days now, and I feel like I have a
> decent grasp of what's going on but I still have so many questions I'm
> going to take it one at a time until I can get a good grasp on the
> library :)
>
> My first question is regarding HTTP. I have copied the
> test-server-v2.0.c source code into my project, and stripped it down to
> what I believe is the bare minimum. I have a mount:
>
> *static const struct lws_http_mount mount = {
>      NULL,    /* linked-list pointer to next*/
>      "/",        /* mountpoint in URL namespace on this vhost */*
>
> and vhost options struct
>
> *static const struct lws_protocol_vhost_options pvo = {
>      NULL,
>      NULL, // &pvo_opt,
>      "dumb-increment-protocol",
>      ""
> };*
>
> I also have a plugin_dirs array:
>
> *static const char * const plugin_dirs[] = {
>          "/Users/user/myproject/plugins",
>          NULL
> };*
>
> I then have a main() function where I
> 1) set option parameters in a *struct lws_context_creation_info info*
> 2) create the context with *lws_create_context(&info)*
> 3) create a vhost with *lws_create_vhost(context, &info)*
> 4) configure the event loop *lws_uv_sigint_cfg(context, 1, signal_cb)*
> 5) run the event loop *lws_libuv_run*
>
> When I run the server, I can successfully load the web page in a browser
> and connect a websocket client (hooray! \o/). But now....?

That sounds like a good start.

> What I would like to do first is handle any HTTP requests other than /
> with the server itself (not a directory mount). Essentially I want to
> build a RESTful service handler for /api/v1/etc, but they all result in
> 404. I've tried implementing several of the plugins. It does seem that
> the plugin is discovered by libwebsockets, as I see this debug log message:
>
> *[2017/11/20 22:25:17:8362] NOTICE: Plugins:
> [2017/11/20 22:25:17:8362] NOTICE: Scanning /Users/user/myproject/plugins
> [2017/11/20 22:25:17:8364] NOTICE: protocol_dumb_increment.cpp
> [2017/11/20 22:25:17:8370] NOTICE: Creating Vhost 'default' port 8080, 1
> protocols, IPv6 off
> [2017/11/20 22:25:17:8370] NOTICE: mounting
> file:///Users/user/myproject/web/dist to /*
>
> I have put printf() messages in this plugin file, but nothing is getting
> invoked. I have looked for samples on how to statically include this
> plugin, but maybe I'm not doing it right?
>
> Maybe I just need some guidance, sample app or a link to some
> documentation to get me moving in the right direction on how I can
> handle HTTP requests properly and include a static plugin.

1) If you just want to mount and serve local directories, as you found
that is simple to bind parts of the URL space to internal support for
serving files from a local directory there.

You can also bind protocol names to part of the URL space, ie, bind
parts to the URL space to be handled by a specific plugin.

If you refer back to the test-server-v2.0.c example, there's an example
mount that binds /formtest in the URL space to "protocol-post-demo".

static const struct lws_http_mount mount_post = {
	(struct lws_http_mount *)&mount_ziptest, /* linked-list pointer to next*/
	"/formtest",		/* mountpoint in URL namespace on this vhost */
	"protocol-post-demo",	/* handler */
	NULL,	/* default filename if none given */
	NULL,
	NULL,
	NULL,
	NULL,
	0,
	0,
	0,
	0,
	0,
	0,
	LWSMPRO_CALLBACK,	/* origin points to a callback */
	9,			/* strlen("/formtest"), ie length of the mountpoint */
	NULL,

	{ NULL, NULL } // sentinel
};

With the LWSMPRO_CALLBACK binding, it means in effect bind /formtest to
the protocol that handles "protocol-post-demo".  In this case, that is a
provided protocol plugin

https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/blob/master/plugins/protocol_post_demo.c

That plugin handles POST actions, but the deal is basically the same to
handle HTTP GET or whatever in the protocol plugin.  For examples of
handling GET "by hand" like this in the callback, look at

https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/blob/master/test-apps/test-server-http.c

For an example of handling WS in the protocol plugin, eg,

https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/blob/master/plugins/protocol_lws_mirror.c

2) You need to mention a protocol name in a pvo like test-server-v2.0.c
does to enable that protocol on that vhost.  For example you may have a
lot of plugins for various things, and multiple vhosts, but you do not
want every plugin to be initialized on every vhost, so you can control
what is happening where.

The pvo just needs to mention the name of the protocol to enable it on
the vhost, as is done in test-server-v2.0.c:

static const struct lws_protocol_vhost_options pvo_3 = {
	&pvo_4,
	NULL,
	"protocol-post-demo",
	"" /* ignored, just matches the protocol name above */
};

-Andy