[Libwebsockets] Problem of multiple persistent WebSocket connections

Zhang, Luis (Thin Client R&D) xiaolu.zhang at hp.com
Mon Sep 18 02:51:43 CEST 2017

I'm working on developing a WebSocket Server that supports for multiple persistent WebSocket connections. Our goal is supporting for 100K connections concurrently. As mentioned in https://libwebsockets.org/ that per thread can support 250K connections. So I think that there is no problem for supporting 100K persistent WebSocket connections. And I verified it with v2.0.0, it works well.

But, when I upgraded the libwebsockets lib to v2.1, the server cannot accepted so many connections. It only can accepted about 40K connections. When about 40K connections were established, I cannot establish websocket connection any more. I also test it with v2.2 and v2.3, I got the same result.

The test environment of all test case are same, just the version of libwesocket lib are different.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Best Regards,
Luis