[Libwebsockets] Deprecating Github 2018 The Man edition(R)

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Jun 11 08:42:53 CEST 2018

On 06/05/2018 11:30 AM, Brice Hamon wrote:
> I was thinking just that today Andy.
>
> I share all what you said and I am in the same boat..almost.
>
> Seems like self hosted is the safest route, minus the pain.

Yes I think many people got a wakeup call with this.

It took a while because I had to find a bug around closing cgi dup2
stdin handles correctly, so EOF can appear two processes down inside git
for when it's serving https:// cloning.  That's a few lines but
understanding what the problem was took several days, replacing git with
a locally-built one, debugging via stderr from the cgi etc.  It's fixed
on master.

Other CGI pay attention to CONTENT_LENGTH but git ignores it and just
does a blocking read on stdin until it gets an EOF, >8K or times out.

 From now on the primary place to get lws is officially:

  git clone https://libwebsockets.org/repo/libwebsockets

github links are scrubbed from https://libwebsockets.org and the
README.md already.

The next problem is figure out what to do about the "forge" aspects...
cgit gets the presentation of the repo quite far but I can't find any
way to enable inline display of README.md in tree view, which was a good
innovation from github.  It does it for the top level on the about tab well

  https://libwebsockets.org/git/libwebsockets/about/

... but the inner directory README.md -s are not rendered by default.

https://libwebsockets.org/git/libwebsockets/tree/lib/roles/README.md

Being able to deploy different "forge" contexts has its own uses for me
so I'll look down that road first.

-Andy