[Libwebsockets] issue tracking post github

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Jun 28 11:21:11 CEST 2018

On 06/28/2018 04:24 PM, Alfred Sawaya wrote:

> For what it worth, I agree with you at 100%. Mailing lists are a good
> filter.
>
> What github did (and it still does) is standardizing the process to
> contribute and make it very simple and centralized (fork, implement,
> request pull, test pipelines).
>
> Back to old school then, mailing list, send patches (or rp but you would
> have a lot of remotes to handle)...

Well, I generally take your point.

But on lws github currently, there are 958 "issues" (955 closed) and 360
PRs (359 closed).  So the main thing github generates are "issues".

It's complicated a bit because some issues generate patches, usually by
me, since when the issue describes something needing doing the raw
material for these patches is sometimes showing changed code but most
often very abstract and not a diff or whatever, but prose.

On the other side, some of the "issues" are just lazy garbage.

If people want to push patches on github and point me to them because
that's easier for them, I'm not going to ignore their contribution.  But
github will just become a mirror going on when my side is straight.

This is the approach taken by, eg git itself

https://github.com/git/git

-Andy