[Libwebsockets] Fwd: Re: v3.1 very shortly

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Nov 22 18:14:15 CET 2018

-------- Original Message --------
From: Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com>
Sent: November 23, 2018 12:52:22 AM GMT+08:00
To: "thomas.spitz at hestia-france.com" <thomas.spitz at hestia-france.com>
Subject: Re: [Libwebsockets] v3.1 very shortly

On November 22, 2018 11:23:19 PM GMT+08:00, "thomas.spitz at hestia-france.com" <thomas.spitz at hestia-france.com> wrote:
>Hello Andy,
>
>I cross-compiled pre-version 3.1 from master for my ARM based project :
>OK
>
>When I compile my ARM app, I have the following issue :
>
>20181122libwebsockets-master-preRelease3.1/buildAPF/include/libwebsockets.h:280:36:
>
>fatal error: libwebsockets/lws-logs.h: No such file or directory
>
>For your info I always cross compile for my ARM based project to
>/buildAPF.
>
>For my app compilation I tell GCC eclipse compiler to include the
>following paths in this order :
>
>  * 20181122libwebsockets-master-preRelease3.1
>  * 20181122libwebsockets-master-preRelease3.1/buildAPF/include
>  * 20181122libwebsockets-master-preRelease3.1/buildAPF/lib

In master / v3.1 the 5000+ line libwebsockets.h is still the way to import the lws api as before, but it has been split into dozens of smaller topic-includes in a subdir ./include/libwebsockets/ that are brought in by libwebsockets.h:

https://libwebsockets.org/git/libwebsockets/tree/include/libwebsockets
https://libwebsockets.org/git/libwebsockets/tree/include/libwebsockets.h#n385-427

The named-by-topic sub-includes make it a lot easier to find apis than wading through one huge file.  A lot of mature libs like openssl, libuv etc use this technique.

For non-cross lws build, cmake generates the necessary cflags part like -I./include automatically, and installs the ./include/libwebsockets dir along with ./include/libwebsockets.h.  To use the include in your application, it doesn't need any extra flags.

For cross lws build, you'll have to additionally give it the -I 20181122libwebsockets-master-preRelease3.1/include in your cross cmake file... that should solve it.  Again, to use the include in your application, it doesn't need any extra flags.

>Here is what I put in my C files where I use lws:
>
>  * #include "libwebsockets.h"

It's still fine.

-Andy