[Libwebsockets] Build with LibreSSL

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sun Oct 28 21:20:12 CET 2018

On October 29, 2018 1:43:13 AM GMT+08:00, Necktwi Ozfguah <necktwi at ferryfair.com> wrote:
>I checked out v3.0-stable
>
>I use LibreSSL on my Gentoo VM
>While make I get
>error: implicit declaration of function ‘OPENSSL_init_ssl’
>
>Can libwebsockets be built with LibreSSL? Should I've to pull the
>latest branch?

Nowhere does lws say it can... I have never tried it.

There are a few "openssl-ish" projects like boringssl that look sufficiently like openssl lws can't tell the difference and work ok.  (And mbedtls is supported after a big contribution a while ago, although that is not competitive with openssl on modern machines.  For weak devices it's the only way though.)

If libressl lacks some apis and didn't provide stubs, if you want to use it with lws you'll need to find out what if anything the equivalents are and patch around it in lws.  After a quick look on the project site and their git, I didn't see any document listing api differences.  My guess is you need to fiddle with the preprocessor logic that is testing the openssl version number to select newer or older openssl init apis... patches welcome if not too invasive.

-Andy