[Libwebsockets] Libwebsockets examples: Copyright vs. Public Domain

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Apr 30 21:25:46 CEST 2019

On April 30, 2019 7:58:57 PM GMT+01:00, Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com> wrote:
>Hi Andy,
>
>In the libwebsockets examples, you state your dedication of the file to
>the
>public domain this way:
>
>* Copyright (C) 2018 Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> * * This file is
>made
>available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 * Universal Public Domain
>Dedication.
>
>A dedication to the public domain is a *complete abandonment of your
>copyright rights. *It is legally confusing that you *claim* copyright
>on
>the first line, and then abandon it right afterward.

Well... as I intended it... I meant it to claim that I have the standing to then definitively say it's public domain.

I did google around for how to do it at the time.  But looking now the cc0 faq

https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/CC0_FAQ

...it says this now (perhaps it always did and it's just habit on my part)

<PROGRAM NAME> - <DESCRIPTION> Written in <YEAR> by <AUTHOR NAME> <AUTHOR E-MAIL ADDRESS>

>I suggest you use this instead:
>
>* Created by Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> * * This file is made
>available
>under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 * Universal Public Domain
>Dedication.

I'll mass-change it on master tomorrow, probably to the cc0 faq formula.  Obviously the intent all along is the same, to make the examples completely public domain to allow users to get started by incorporating, modifying and building on them without any claim from me, or license restriction.

Thanks for bringing it up.

-Andy