[Libwebsockets] Planned license change

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jul 19 16:51:03 CEST 2019

Hi -

Lws is planning to change the pieces that are currently LGPLv2.1+SLE to
MIT https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT .  Stuff that is already CC0 or
another permissive license will stay as it is.

This license change is making an already permissive license (it was
already LGPL, and the SLE removed most restrictions already) even more
permissive.  So I expect most contributors either don't much care or are
happy about it.  Contributors who object should contact me via:

  - the lws mailing list
https://libwebsockets.org/mailman/listinfo/libwebsockets
  - github issue https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets , or
  - email to `andy at warmcat.com`

...before **Aug 11 2019**, and I'll rewrite the related code before the
change.  There'll be a last release of the currently-licensed stuff
(probably v3.2) and then the same code will have the licese grant
changed in the sources, become master and also have an otherwise
identical release, probably v4.0.  The v3.2 stuff won't be maintained
(by me anyway... it's FOSS though) but the v4.0 stuff which is the same
except the license will get the usual v4.0-stable treatment.

Even after the change I will continue to rely on users to help me with
bug reports and patches, work together on new features.  The license
will no longer require it but the practical advantages from staying
aligned with upstream lws for users remain the same.

I have also added this notice in the main README.md in git on master.