[Libwebsockets] Odd "ERR: Ran out of header data space" error?

andy at warmcat.com andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jun 19 18:01:44 CEST 2020

On June 19, 2020 3:20:47 PM UTC, Bent Bisballe Nyeng <deva at aasimon.org> wrote:
>Hi List
>
>I am making a server based on libwebsockets which serves textual
>updates
>to all connected user based on user input, akin to the drawing example
>application; ie. everybody gets notificed about all changes.
>My application uses a textual protocol and these messages can sometimes
>be ~16kb and above.
>The system on which I am developing is based on libwebsocket 2.1 and
>everything seem to be working fine.
>Recently, however, I deployed the service on a debian server for
>borader
>use, which has libwebsocket 2.0 installed and then I started seeing the

2.0... it's very old.

>error: "ERR: Ran out of header data space" a lot.
>I traced it to the max_http_header_data parameter which in my
>application was unset (ie. 0) and increasing it to 16kb seemed to
>somewhat mitigate the issue.
>I do not, however, understand why I am seeing that error in the first
>place, shouldn't that parameter only affect http connections?

I assume it's websockets... all ws connections start off as http.  And the server catches and stores any headers it understands, but it is not in control of, eg, how big the cookies are a browser will send it.  At some point I set the default size to 4KB it'd make sense if before v2.1 it was smaller.

>I am also not sure why I am seeing the error only on the debian server
>and not on my developent PC. Is this perhaps really a bug in 2.0 which
>has been fixed in 2.1?

This is all literally many years old.  We're on v4.0 now.

>Any advice on the matter will be very much appreciated :-)

It's better to build later stuff yourself.  Later lws supports cpack, you can create a .deb actually.

-Andy