[Libwebsockets] EXT: Re: count_threads in client side

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Nov 30 15:40:12 CET 2020

On 11/30/20 2:26 PM, Peiffer Eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'am yet my problem of 100%CPU in the thread that run the while loop
> calling the lws_service function:
>
> while (n >=0 && !interrupt)
>      n = lws_service(context,0);
>
> I can not debug properly my code because the system is on production and

I don't think anyone can help you better than yourself with your own
code in front of you...

> I can neither install gdb no open all websocketes traces. And I can not
> reproduce this issue in my labs.

Well, it sounds like it feels there is always something to do and the
event loop should not be idle.  It's not how it should be, or actually
is if you run the examples even under load, but, IIUI  does it actually
make any trouble?  You are going around the event loop more than you
need to, but IIUI you ARE going around the event loop and becoming aware
of events and servicing them.

If your event loop is busy, it's not competing with this spinning, it
will only spin instead of idle IIUI.  Whatever work was needed is still
done immediately.  So the only impact is one thread never enters an idle
poll wait for any real time.

If it's linux, you can use perf top -p <pid> to get some insight into
where it spends its time without stopping the process.

> I have two king of lws_service loop:
> One that open thousand of client connection
> The second that open a server connection
>
> The two  loop used two separate context and also separate call back.

Any particular reason to not do it with one context?  There is no
conflict with a single context doing client connections and listening
for incoming connections on vhosts as a servers as well.

> Since this two loops run in the same process could there be concurences
> problems?

AFAIK, no.  The contexts only take care about sockets / fds that their
loop knows about... since fd numbers are a processwide resource, if one
loop is managing a particular fd, the other thread will never be told
about it.  So no way to conflict.

There are other processwide things like library bindings, eg, openssl,
but modern openssl can be used OK by multiple threads.

-Andy