[Libwebsockets] Acknowledgement on lws_write / LWS_WRITE_BINARY?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Sep 12 21:07:21 CEST 2020

On 9/12/20 6:15 PM, Duane Butler wrote:
> Andy, another quick question. Is it generally true that the transport is reliable? I’ve always assumed so since it is based on a TCP connection.

Yes tcp is "reliable", but what does it really mean?

If you pull out the ethernet cable on the sending side, and you are
sending small packets on an established tcp connection, the kernel will
continue to accept the packets for many minutes before it starts to feel
something is wrong.

So tcp is "reliable", but from the perspective of a POSIX socket
sending, everything is fine even with no ethernet cable in.  POSIX
doesn't reveal how long the packet has gone without an ACK, so the
userland app can't assess this for itself.  Having "sent" it without
error on a "reliable" transport, it has to take it on faith it actually
went out, even with no cable in.

Similarly, the peer may receive and ack the packet at tcp level, but...
what does it really mean?  Does it mean the app is there and alive and
it updated and committed to the database backing store according to what
your packet told, or your database is up or the ssd is not in flames?

There are other corner cases where, eg, local wlan router is up and WLAN
network interface is linked-up fine, but something downstream is down or
brain damaged, or routes on the internet differ for each direction, and
either only rx or tx can work but not both.

Yes tcp is "reliable" but it turns out you can't believe anything really
happened unless it involves the actual endpoints either having
synchronous request-response, or returning a token sent by the
originator back to it to prove that it has had that specific message,
and from its whole app perspective (ssd still working, database still
there etc) what was asked for truly did happen.

-Andy