[Libwebsockets] EXT: Re: disconnection after 310 secondes

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Sep 29 18:42:50 CEST 2020

On 9/29/20 4:05 PM, Peiffer Eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have put this
>
> |lws_validity_confirmed(wsi);
>
> efter each LWS_CALLBACK_RECEIVE, and it's work better.
>
> But what I can not anderstand is that, may server connect xmpp client
> through web socket connections. Each web socket client send to the server
> a xmpp ping and the server response to this ping. This for each client
> and each minutes.
> Thean I can not anderstand why this timeout aoccurs, because each minute
> there data in the both direction.

"Data in both directions" is not what it wants to confirm, it wants to
confirm that we sent something and received something that we can only
get if the peer truly received what we sent.

It's not confirming the validity of the connection if simply one side
thinks he can send something, and he receives something... it's like
saying one guy is talking into the telephone, and the other guy is going
"hm" every now and again... it can all be true and in fact they are not
having a conversation at all.

Kernel will continue to accept send data from userland and let it pile
up kernelside for many minutes, even when the ethernet cable is pulled
out.  Routes on the internet for outbound packets may be completely
different than the route for inbound packets.  The validity thing is for
when you saw something that can only mean it is all working, like PING
with a payload that is echoed by the PONG.

-Andy