[Libwebsockets] how to build libwebsocket package using "configure"

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Aug 31 09:20:20 CEST 2021

On 8/31/21 8:13 AM, madhan reddy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As part of my project I need to cross compile and install LWS in my
> platform. I am able to build it using "cmake" on my VM with the steps below.
>
> git clone https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets/tree/v4.2-stable
> <https://github.com/warmcat/libwebsockets.git>
> cd ibwebsockets-4.2-stable
> sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake ..
> make
> sudo make install
>
> with these steps installation is done but it is showing this version
> "*4.2.1-unknown*", why is it showing unknown in version?

The cmake build script for lws tries to run git to find out the git HEAD
hash to include in the BUILD_VERSION var.  If you provide it a working
git executable, it will tell you an elaborated version like
"4.2.99-v4.2.0-183-g1baa62222b".

There's some advice here about installing git on windows

https://libwebsockets.org/git/libwebsockets/tree/READMEs/README.build-windows.md

> If I want to build the same using "configure", how can I proceed?

6 or 7 years ago we switched from automake to CMake.  So you can't build
it with configure.  CMake is way better.

> Could anyone please provide the steps to build the package using
> "configure" instead of cmake?

It is not supported.