[Libwebsockets] prebuilt binaries for Windows x86 and x64

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Feb 15 07:23:52 CET 2021

On 2/15/21 5:33 AM, Manoj Bhatti wrote:
> Hello admins,
>
> I am sending this email after a lot of googling and not finding any
> answer to my question. I did not find a search option on the
> 'Libwebsockets Archives'.
>
> Are prebuilt binaries for Windows (or Linux) available for download? I

No, just build it from source atm.  Lws is highly configurable at buildtime.

For windows, microsoft have packaged it in their vcpkg, if you just want
to consume it for windows, you can get it from there.  This at the top
of READMEs/README.build.md -->

You can download and install lws using the vcpkg dependency manager:
git clone https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg.git
cd vcpkg
./bootstrap-vcpkg.sh
./vcpkg integrate install
vcpkg install libwebsockets

The lws port in vcpkg is kept up to date by Microsoft team members and
community contributors. If the version is out of date, please create an
issue or pull request on the vcpkg repository.

<---

For Linux, lws is packaged in all the common distros for years (even,
eg, OpenWRT), you can just install binary packages using dnf or apt or
whatever.

For OSX it's in homebrew.

For BSDs, build from source.

> have seen a lot of postings regarding building libwebsockets, but I am
> not able to find anything on downloading prebuilt binaries. I am looking
> for both 32bit and 64bit dlls for Windows.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. If this is an often repeated question,
> then my apologies, but please do mention the availability of prebuilt
> binaries on your website.

For a while I put Appveyor builds on bintray, I stopped doing it after
it reached some limit and bintray wanted me to pay for the pleasure.  I
contacted them about how to remove older builds to stay under the limit,
but it was their business model to not provide an automated way.  Since
I did not get any feedback either way I took from that it's not my
problem to provide binary packages.