[Libwebsockets] Execute callback on event loop thread

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Jul 24 14:14:13 CEST 2021

On 7/24/21 1:06 PM, Ivan Kolesnikov wrote:
> Thank you for your quick response!
>
> I tried the first solution and it works fine.
> I also look into the source code of __lws_system_attach and see that it
> is internally implemented using lws_cancel_service, just already
> implemented a queue instead of me. Maybe I will switch to it.

Yes it's based on top of lws_cancel_service(), it's originally designed
so that code started by a foreign thread may exit their original thread
after calling it, since we will call them back from lws thread context
and he can just run from lws context subsequently.  It's basically doing
the same thing just different semantics.

> But I have one more problem. If I use libwebsockets with libuv, then
> lws_cancel_service devivers the event, but doesn't cause the exit from
> lws_service (without libuv it exits lws_service successfully). So my
> event loop cannot be terminated (I use a while loop on a volatile
> boolean flag, but this loop has no chance to check it except for the
> startup). How can I completely stop the event loop while using libuv
> either from the event loop thread (because I can send a callback now) or
> from any other thread.

Although using the event lib or using the default loop became a lot more
aligned some versions ago, there are still some small differences in how
user code must use them.  If you have an existing loop outside of lws
you want lws to join, you don't event lws_service() at all.  At creation
lws runs entirely off of callbacks from the loop, it does not have its
own service loop any more.  Therefore you can't use the interrupted type
flag scheme from the examples, there is no outer loop like that.

See, eg, minimal-http-server-eventlib-foreign

-Andy