[Libwebsockets] error while loading shared libraries: libwebsockets.so.18: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Lasse Järvensivu l.jarvensivu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 14:24:53 CEST 2021

Hello all,

I recently started using C, Ubuntu LTS 20.04 and libwebsockets for a
project I am working on. I cloned main as described from the front page and
went to make and install as described in the build docs. Then I made a
small websocket server which is a mixmash of the minimal example of echoing
back to the user and the test server app. I removed most of the test server
app code so I could more easily understand it. Then I build and run my
server with the following commands:

$ gcc server.c -o server -lwebsockets
$ ./server
./server: error while loading shared libraries: libwebsockets.so.18: cannot

I have tried to figure out what may be causing this but I don't know for
sure. I built the source code with the -DLIB_SUFFIX=64 suffix to cmake, if
that may be of any help.