[Libwebsockets] Differences between 3.2 and 4.x

andy at warmcat.com andy at warmcat.com
Tue Nov 30 16:06:40 CET 2021

On November 30, 2021 1:52:08 PM UTC, "Paweł Konowalski" <pawel.konowalski.delta at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to upgrade the library to the latest version.
>
>My application exposes http[s] and ws[s] services and makes multiple
>http client requests (REST) in parallel.
>It uses an external loop (ppoll) to handle connection sockets.

People are still using external poll successfully on v4.3, but at some point it will go away.  FYI there's a new custom event loop feature that lets you make your app loop look like it has just enough event library support, to replace it.

https://libwebsockets.org/git/libwebsockets/tree/minimal-examples-lowlevel/http-server/minimal-http-server-eventlib-custom/minimal-http-server.c

>With version 3.2 everything works fine, as expected. In all cases.
>
>With version 4.2 it is also fine except when there is no response to
>http (REST) client requests. In such case the server part stops
>responding to requests. When client requests come back to normal,
>everything also returns to normal.

Hm.

>With version 4.3 the application crashes when calling
>lws_create_context().

So... what's the backtrace?

>The library configuration is more or less the same. Have I missed
>something?
>
>What direction should I focus when troubleshooting?

Generally, nothing ever just 'crashes' or 'fails'.  There is always a detailed story like 'triggers an asssert' or 'blows a null dereference' at line xxx.

-Andy