[Libwebsockets] Openssl is too old to support lws_tls_vhost_cert_info

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Mar 4 05:48:36 CET 2022

On 3/4/22 04:36, Kyle Dias wrote:

> Yes I had but I didn't see any direct error: here is the output:

>     -Wignored-qualifiers -DGCC_VER="\"\"" *-fPIC* -ffunction-sections

So you're building lws with -fPIC which is good if you want to end up
with a .so.

>     /usr/lib/gcc-cross/arm-linux-gnueabihf/9/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/ld:
>     /media/diask5/NVMe/Cross_Builds/cross-root-*generic32/usr/local/lib/libcrypto.a(hmac.o):
>     relocation R_ARM_THM_MOVW_ABS_NC against `a local symbol' can not be
>     used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC*
>

> Also I did build openssl as *static* if that is an issue?

If you want to be able relocate lws (as a .so, you don't know where the
loader will put it in memory) then you have to be able to relocate all
the pieces it links to, too.

So it is telling you to rebuild openssl with -fPIC and this problem will
go away.  I don't think it matters for this if static (it means a copy
of the object will get composed into lws), or shared (it means lws will
bind to it at load-time) so long as the code in there is built to be
relocatable.

-Andy